Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Wanda's Stacks - a Dyeing Method

Stacks After 


 Stacks before

Stacks
I like to do a bit of organizing when making stacks. Please make them any way you wish.
I used a variety of textures that ran from dark to light in the same colour family. It is hard to tell the value of textures sometimes but I choose my dyes carefully to influence my choices. I dyed them laying the dark wool on the bottom and working through the values to the light. This way I can have a variety of values to work with that relate.
You Need:
flat pan long enough to lay your wool almost flat ( wrinkles are GOOD !) Try an 8x8"cake pan!
6 Dyes or combos of  Majic Carpet Dyes, one each for each layer
Citric Acid
6 pieces of wet wool 1/16th yd. each 

Directions
Lay the darkest piece of wool, Value 6, in your pan. 
Prepare 1/32 tsp. Turquoise in 1/2 cup of very hot water with a sprinkle of citric acid.
Pour this dye over layer one. Try to spread it around fairly evenly.
 Place the next wool layer  ( Value 5 ) straight onto the first one.
Prepare 1/32 tsp. Bottle Green  as directed above and pour over this layer.
Continue laying on the values of wool and the dyes:
Value 4  is dyed with 1/64 tsp Bottle Green +1/64 tsp. Moss Green
Value 3  is dyed with 1/32 tsp. Moss Green
Value 2 is dyed with 1/128th tsp. Moss Green  1/32 tsp. Yellow
Value 1 is dyed with 1/128th tsp. Turquoise + 1/32 tsp. Yellow

Place in oven uncovered at 350˚F until the water clears.
Don’t forget to use really hot water while mixing the dyes, it makes the dye take up quickly.
I encourage you to try this any way you want to over any wool and dyes you have.

Try using different colours of dye and the same colour of wool.

I have variations with this great quick method that will make even more majic for us coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Does the water in oven not boil over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, It is only 3 cups of water and the wool helps to absorb it. Do not cover and you will be fine, thanks for asking this great question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep my eyes peeled when I am in my stash for some plaids, checks and textures and pull them out for the next dye day! These are great!

    ReplyDelete