Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Our Daily Bread - Preparedness


Our Daily Bread - A State Of Preparedness -  

The Welcome Mat - July 30/20013

I'm hooking away on my challenge rug in stolen moments. Do you know about the Challenge?
I think the title explains it all:
"I'll Hook With Anything Challenge." Go here to see about it. I see by the letters many are done but you still have time to join in if your are intrigued. I'm trying not to look yet until I get mine done.
I had trouble getting started on it for a couple of reasons.
I had a lot of other things calling screaming my name.
I wasn't ready, pattern not drawn, materials not gathered, a deficit of ideas of what to hook with.
I thought about gathering stuff on my way to Asheville to hook it.  A found source rug.
I thought about how I'd rather shoot myself in the foot.
I thought about what it might be like to hook the bags my cats food comes in, originality!!!
I thought there will be better days for that, saved the washed cat food bags for other inspired madness.
I was only able to think about these things because I was up against many demands.
But I snuck down one night and drew up my pattern and left it on the TABLE on a FRAME with HOOK and SCISSORS atop it.
This is a state of readiness.
Now that the dust has settled I was able to look around my studio for things to hook with I had not tried. Everything my eye touched on was a vanquished hero, already tamed and tested by the fire of my hook. What to do? I plopped down in my Captain Picardesque sewing chair.
The view from this vantage point directed me to new perspectives.
Every time I sew a garment, there are two things that happen. I have leavings from cutting them out, and I have tailings from my serging to sew them up. (Oh, I think there are three things, I get something new to wear ... DUH)
I'm using both tailings and leavings to create my challenge rug.
Of course I love it because I love the fabrics, the cottons are cut on the bias because I sew on the bias a lot of the time and the rest are delightful knit fabrics which are the bomb to hook with.
I made a pile of prospective candidates and laid those on top of the frame and let curiosity do it's trick, I just couldn't wait another minute longer to see what those fabrics might look like hooked up. Sometimes I'm using the right side, sometimes the wrong, but it is all fun!
This state of preparedness let me snatch 45 minutes last night and now it is 2/3 finished.
I believe my project is the land where polka dots are harvested.
How do you employ or enjoy a state of preparedness in your hooking or life in general?
Does it help you get more hooking done?

1 comment:

  1. I live in a perennial state of 'un-preparedness' most of the time! Makes for a hectic life!!

    ReplyDelete