Friday, February 26, 2010

Glassed UP and The Secrets of the Universe Revealed


Friday's Treat Night ..... Eye Candy: wonderful textile tradition in Chiapas of women making their clothing using backstrap looms, here is an example:

This week-end I'm going to begin to dye. I've had a bit of an interruption while we settled the kitchen down after the world's longest redesign, going on 2 years.
One thing that was holding me back from any serious dyeing was my glass for my small wooden countertops on either side of my gas stove, no pictures, I promised Tony. I need to protect the raw wood from dye because soon it will look like a clown suit if I don't.

I found a wonderful quote to back up what I was saying about learning about colour last blog post.

"An artist is an explorer. He has to begin by self-discovery and by observation of his own procedures. After that he must not feel under any constraint." (Henri Matisse)

In order to explore we need space and time and a modicum of freedom.
I think it is good to add in self encouragement and if you can swing it, a group of like minded individuals.

When I set about "travelling" somewhere new I don't want to be distracted in case I miss some important niggling. I want to concentrate. I want to be deep inside the ME.
Jackie was asking me why I'm not hooking as frequently as I might.
That is a great question.
I told her, some need to hook to soothe and smooth over troubles.
I need to have a nice smooth space free of big bumps and humps to get to the hook and frame.
And in the last few years if it wasn't one thing it was another.

Which kind of hooker are you?
A soother or a smoothy ?
Once you know that you can appreciate more fully your own trends. More importantly you can accept them.
Today is my traditional "day off"
I think I will smooth my way to hook.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I am a smoother now that you mention it....or actually recently I have found that I reallly am a soother. I had alot going on and I was putting off the hooking until "things settled down." I finally said to heck with it and started finishing a piece I had started two years ago. Suddenly life is smoother and I feel soothed. Fascinating....as Dr Spock would say....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wanda! I LOVE the colours. Inspiring!
    xine

    ReplyDelete