Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 10 Still on a teeny tiny trip

The news is we are all under some heavy weather warnings!
The good news is I'm warm and cozy and still have electricity.

Some other good news... I finally took today with a friendly competitive push from/ with Jean to get started on my September Challenge on The WElcome Mat, the 2010 Rug, 20 colours in 10 inches. If you want to know more about this or the Welcome Mat , please write me.
It a number less than three cut. OY!
Here it is with it's inspiration a slice of a photo taken by my friend Heather with my camera about 2 years ago.
Tony for the first time in my life I think I need one of your fancy lights for the hard of seeing ! LOL

All leftover strips on the edge of another rug I did ! This will probably take me a day or two more , hope you don't mind. I had a LOVELY time hooking. I had the day off because hook-in was cancelled.

My hint for the day to day comes from the AMAZING Robert Genn..
Someone asked him in 2007 to be their personal "art " trainer.
Here is what he suggested in reply. To see the whole letter, he sends out letters twice weekly to subscribers, go here

It's no surprise when people ask me to be their personal coach. It happened again only yesterday. The lady was talking art, not abs. Come to think of it, a lot of us buffs are in demand. So I was thinking of all the inefficiency and disappointment that must ride on Ralph and Alberto's contract. And while I sort of like the idea of tailored guidance, I rather wanted to offer a more general workout. A sort of "Jenny Craig Success Course of the Arts." Mine's free. Here it is:

Find a sanctuary where you can comfortably work.
Dedicate at least two hours a day to your art.
Have more than enough equipment and supplies.
Set short- and long-term goals and keep track of progress.
Think of your work as exercise, not championship play.
Explore series development and exhaust personal themes.
Work alone with the benefit of books and perhaps tapes.
Replace passive consumption with creative production.
Use your own intuition and master your technology.
Feel the joy of personal, self-generated sweat.
Fall in love with your own working processes.
Be forever on the lookout for the advent of style.
Try to be your own person and claim your rights.
Don't bother setting yourself up for rejection.
Don't swing too wildly and damage the well-being of others.
Don't jump into the ring until you're feeling fit.

If you can stick with this regimen for a couple of months, I can pretty well guarantee your progress. If not, then at least the exercise will let you know the job's not for you. We all have the potential to be slim, barrel-chested, rich, satisfied or evolved.

Best regards,

Robert

PS: "The man who goes alone can start today." (Henry David Thoreau)

Esoterica: "I decided to learn everything I could about beans," said Thoreau when he moved to Walden Pond. Artists looking for inspiration can't go far wrong with Thoreau. Self-reliance, there's your personal coach. I've noticed most of the real success stories happen without benefit of Albertos. We all need to find the character within ourselves to overcome our weaknesses and build our muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment