Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ankle- masquerading as a baseball

I spent all day with my foot in the air on ice. Sounds a bit like Dorothy Hamill !
With it being so hot I find I can only think of wool and start to itch. To entertain myself I've being knitting a cotton shawl.
My yarn is one of lovely colour transitions. It flows from turquoise to blue to purple to fuschia through to orange.
It reminded me how much people love to look at gradations in life.

When we find something aesthetically pleasing is usually involves gradation.
This can be gradation in size, colour, shape, thickness of line, texture.
Try looking at visual aids you've picked out in your collection of inspiring items.
Can you see gradation ? Observe some samples here

Gradation
  [grey-dey-shuhn]
–noun
1. any process or change taking place through a series of stages, by degrees, or in a gradual manner.
2. a stage, degree, or grade in such a series.
3. the passing of one tint or shade of color to another, or one surface to another, by very small degrees, as in painting or sculpture.
4. the act of grading.
5. ablaut.
6. Geology. the leveling of a land surface, resulting from the concerted action of erosion and deposition.
Origin:
1530–40; < L gradātiōn- (s. of gradātiō). See grade, -ation

Related forms:
gra⋅da⋅tion⋅al, adjective
gra⋅da⋅tion⋅al⋅ly, adverb
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wanda, What happened to your foot? And when? You take care. One summer when I broke my foot I scooted around on my rear end and painted a beautiful floorcloth! Can't sit still ~ no matter the pain! Life's too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri !
    Thanks for giving that good advice ! I was taking out the blue box Wednesday and stepped on a big chunk of gravel and went ass over tittle cart. I laid out there quite awhile hoping nothing was broke !
    I think it's slowly getting better, isn't it amazing how these things happen on scheduled holidays ? Good thing I'm not supposed to go teach somewhere.

    ReplyDelete