Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Boat Lake Sunrise/ Learning

This was a quick and exciting rug for me. I used a photo of Man's and dyed all the wool for it in one pan at one time. The instructions on how you might do this are in Rug Hooking Jan/Feb.2011.
It was wonderful for me to try something new!
Hooked in four days there are things I would change now as there always are when I get some distance from a project. Strangely though I'm quite a respecter of "that's a record of what you did then", apply what you've learned through that project to the next one.

Building blocks of learning, that's a good way to become better at what you do. Making yourself a foundation of tools and skills,using what you've learned up to the point you're at now, that creates more of you in what you make.

Learning about dip dyeing and its application early in my hooking life was a keen interest.
Once I knew how to both dye them and apply them I rapidly realized their stiffness wasn't working for me. I longed to have related colour transitions but I wanted more control of them, and sometimes I required a more subtle interplay of colour than dip dyes provide.
I would never have found the many ways I have to transition colours one from the other if I hadn't followed my head and satisfied my curiosity about dip dyes and I listened to my heart when it craved more even though it was enough for others.

All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


3 comments:

  1. Hi Wanda ...I love the new look to your blog..very nice!! We here in Wisconsin are sick of the winter too....youre in good company! We get something people dont get though that are in very warm climates...an excitement beyond compare to the change in seasons! There is nothing that compares to the good feeling--perhaps endorphins---when you see our first robin and the poking up of the crocuses and hyacinths and we can walk out the door and feel the warmth of the sun on our faces....nothing like it! Happiness on a cellular level! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Thank you!
    Oh winter.......... what about the feeling when you can run out of the house with out boots... as my daughter exclaimed recently, my ankles are free, my ankles are free!!
    The glory of it all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this piece Wanda - I especially like the wide cut of it - as well as the movement of colour.
    The new blog "look" is great - nice pic's at the top!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete