Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Glue and Why You Shouldn't

Dear Readers,
This is a cautionary tale.

In a great hurry to meet a deadline many years ago I glued this rug to a piece of wood.
Yes, how terribly short sighted.
I don't always want that rug mounted on wood for ever. Wood has acid in it, it is harsh and will eat away wool if left for a good long time. Bare wood and wool should not commune long.
Wood should be sealed very well with several impenetrable coats of something or other, I think you can get a can of that at Home Depot.

So I ripped the rug off the wood after the deadline was met.
Just like waxing legs, quick and against the direction it grew.


Here is the back of the rug

Once I ripped the rug off I was left with a thin 2 inch margin to do any other type of finishing work.
And it was pock marked irregularly with hard glue areas no needle could penetrate.
DUH


I was able to fold (under with the help of pliers) in the glued areas and stitch the rug backing down.


A long time rug tape loather I created a 1 inch wool strip that I applied over the scutty glue areas so when it sold they wouldn't rub the finish off floors and walls.

Not perfect but serviceable. Like most good things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment