Saturday, September 3, 2011

When a hooker needs a corner

Last week as I hooked hard ( you know I was in hooker heaven right?) I hooked up to edges but not over. I constrained my usual proclivities to pack, pack and pack some more ( you know I do this with suitcases and drawers too? Interesting...)
But still I had a problem when it came time to sew on my piping.

Oh can I take an aside?
Man and I wanted to make a video of me sewing on this piping but even though I did sew on piping for over 6 hours in two days we did not do it. I suspect we were brain dead by then or suffering the effects of starvation. The cats were forced to lick my ankles for sustenance.
Shortly I'm going to be finishing another rug ( don't worry dear readers I did not pull this one from thin air as others .... it is an older one waiting in a queue of patient rugs who want finished) so we will try to make the video then.

Now back to corners.
You know it is futile to make a square corner right? At least that's how I feel and I don't even try to make it square with a erect point at the apex. I'm not too sharp myself and feel no compunction with presenting the rounded corner. If that's all people are looking at or for I've missed the boat and how with the rug's insides. Want to insult me? All you need to say is nice corners.... Don't tell man as I've kept this soft spot from him for over 30 years.
A girl must have secrets, at least Helen Gurley Brown says so, which brings me back to hookers on corners.

I sewed my piping binding on and stumbled to bed tired, tired, tired but happy to have one down one to go.
When I got up the next morning I saw the rug edge on the left hand side was like Alfred Hitchcock's outline. Even though I did not pack I did have certain parts of my rugs that were hooked in one direction and then suddenly the direction changed like my Peace by Water trees.
And this created a bump out much like you see below.


I called for the doctor, I called for the nurse said oh my freaking fubar cafoodling. Then I called for Straight Man, my resident framer. He put me on the straight and wide.
I had to buy a framing square. We have three but they were suffering from dark tarry residue.
So now I have my very own. Here is it's photo: I love it like my children.
It doesn't talk back. But it will sever your toe if you are careless. Same as children or lawnmowers.
I had to do some plucking as I call it, drawing a straight line right over my loops with a sharpie and cutting off the tops of those loops out of line and then plucking out what doesn't belong.
A cull of sorts.
The most lucky stroke of all ? The Hitchcock was right at my seam join. Somebody loves me dearly....
On my Laughter by Water, newly christened Loon by Water I had a concavity.
Why did I not think to fit them together and call them a puzzle?
Of course I'm older now and I know better, it is just this type of wisdom that make an artist famous or committed to an asylum, I believe this is the outcome. I've really missed out.
I also had to buy a thimble but that's another pointless blog story ( there are so many) for another day!



No comments:

Post a Comment